If you want to enjoy sports, you have come to the right place. Since Barcelona hosted the Olympic Games back in 1992, the city has evolved in many ways and the current sports offer is mesmerizing. Many of the facilities built for the Olympics are still completely functional, which makes them perfect for big events such as the Barcelona Marathon, the Barcelona World Race or the many soccer and basketball matches that take place throughout the year. If you are a fan of sports, take note of the following events happening in Barcelona during the year:
- Barcelona Marathon: every year thousands of runners take the streets of the city to beat their personal marks and enjoy sport during 42 kilometers. With a route that goes through some of the most famous districts and neighborhoods of the city, the Barcelona Marathon is one of the iconic sports events in the city and is gaining recognition among the European marathons. It usually takes place in spring, most times in March.
- El Clásico: at least once a year, Barcelona becomes the capital of football – or soccer, if you’re American. FC Barcelona and Real Madrid are historic rivals when it comes to sports and Camp Nou, Barça’s stadium, holds the match in the city. The dates change depending on the annual draw organized by the national football league. Don’t miss the opportunity to witness this clash of titans!
- Formula 1 Grand Prix: if you’re into cars and love speed, the Circuit de Catalunya is your best choice in Barcelona. Enjoy the best Formula 1 races in the world right next to Barcelona, in Montmeló. You can buy tickets here.
- Moto GP: cars are cool, but bikes have their appeal as well. Watch the best pilots in action in the Circuit de Catalunya in the Moto GP race in Montmeló. Marc Marquez’s home is always the best place to admire his technique on the bike. Get your tickets here.
- Gamper Trophy: FC Barcelona organizes an annual trophy to honor Joan Gamper, the founder of the club back in 1899. It always takes place in August in Camp Nou with a very festive atmosphere and it marks the beginning of the regular season for Barça. The Gamper Trophy is the perfect opportunity in the middle of summer to attend a Barça game.
- Barcelona World Race: did you ever wanted to sail around the world? That’s exactly what the participants of this race do: they go across the globe following the Clipper route and get back to Barcelona on a double-handed, non-stop, world regatta. They are expected to arrive in Barcelona by the end of March.
- Barcelona Iron Man: in 2015 Barcelona will take in its first Iron Man race. Perhaps the toughest physical test for men and women, consisting in 3.86 km swim, 180 km bicycle ride and 42 km run, non-stop, this race is reserved to the bravest ones. With an itinerary that will cover a great part of the Catalan coast, it’s the perfect opportunity to get to know what’s beyond the city.
Besides these events, there are many more sportive things to do in Barcelona. Don’t miss the Villa Olimpica, where you will find people jogging all along the promenade and live volley-ball matches on the beach; go to Montjuïc and discover the Olympic city, or dive into FC Barcelona history with the Camp Nou Experience.
Barcelona Marathon Official Website
Barcelona Open Official Website
F1 Barcelona Grand Prix tickets Official Website
Moto GP Barcelona tickets Official Website
FC Barcelona Gamper Trophy tickets Official Website
Barcelona World Race Official Website
Barcelona Iron Man Official Website
Barça basketball tickets Official Website
Barça football tickets Official Website
Camp Nou Experience Official Website